Monday 3 August 2009

There is something about Kebabs!



Our neighbours were moving as part of the NHS Doctor's programme. And I racked my brains as to what to serve them for the farewell dinner. The dinner should be easy to cook, as I am one with not much time or patience to spare. It should defenitely have that 'Wow' factor too too if I have any chance of impressing them, since they are brilliant cooks, as if being brilliant doctors were not enough!


Having said that I need something easy and tasty, I still wont go the Delia Smith way. For me, a meal is good only if all ingredients are as basic as possible. Like tomatoes should be off the wine, not from the can. Ditto with potatoes, fish or meat.


Mallika's Quick Indian Cooking solved my problem. What a delightful lady and what an inspiring blog!( http://www.quickindiancooking.com/)

I nicked the Malai Kebab recipe from her. But, me being me, adapted it to my taste (and wallet!). I am a very miserly Indian housewife, so off went the saffron and in came the goody goody turmeric. And I replaced the nutmeg with full flavoured, freshly ground my own garam masala. No, I am not going to give the recipe, Mallika's is much more professional. See here: http://www.quickindiancooking.com/2007/10/16/302/

Believe me, they were the most succulant kebabs I have ever tasted (restaurants included).

Those beauties were served with corriander chutney which was made of fresh coconut, green chillies, corriander leaves, Asafetida, ginger and Fried Gram dhal. The couple asked me for the recipe, and, Mallika, sorry, I didn't mention your name there! Afterall, isn't a lady supposed to have some evil secrets when it comes to cooking?

The kebabs of course were the star of the show, though we also ate fried some samosas and chips.

Those were just starters, by the way. Dinner is another story, another day.

No comments: